What do you think about when you hear the phrase “Mardi Gras”? Insanity? Debauchery? General toplessness?
Well, I’m not going to say that’s all false. But the last one definitely is. Keep reading to find out the top six things you didn’t know about Mardi Gras.
SIX Things you didn’t know about Mardi Gras:
- Groups: Mardi Gras is made up of a bunch of little groups. Each group is responsible for a parade and a formal ball. In New Orleans, they’re call Krewes.
- Parades: There are epic parades on the streets. Think about any parade you’ve been to in Denver and multiply it by about ten. People arrive early to stake out their spots and have a few drinks (err, maybe more), hang out, and take it all in. The parades floats are huge, and are taken really seriously.
- Beads: You’ve heard that to get beads you have to flash? SO false. I can’t even tell you how false that is. Every once in a while some creep will try to get you to flash. But you literally roll your eyes and move on. It’s SO much fun getting beads.
- Formal Balls: Guys wear tuxes, ladies wear floor-length dresses – and it’s strictly enforced. Multiple concert stages, all you can eat and drink. Amazing. Even though I’ve been to Mardi Gras five times, this was the first year I got to go to a ball!
- Not Just New Orleans: Mardi Gras is all over the South! It actually started in Mobile, AL, which is where we went this year. Mobile is also where I was born and went to college. It was such a blast.
- More than Fat Tuesday: Mardi Gras is a season – not a day. The parades and balls go on for weeks – not just one day.
I’ve only been to five Mardi Gras, so I’m far from an expert, but even I could probably write another twenty things about Mardi Gras you didn’t know!
Have you been? What did I miss?If you’re planning your wedding, don’t forget to grab my FREE guide to hiring your dream wedding photographer.